During this spooky season, as we attempt to gather as many treats as we can, we also need to be aware of the tricks that may befall us — outside and within our home internet. Ghosts and goblins, in the form of malware (software the performs malicious acts like stealing passwords) or viruses may be lurking. That’s what makes October the perfect choice for Cyber Security Awareness Month.
In that spirit, we’ve got a special treat for you — a quick refresher on how to keep your personal information safe online to help keep those tricksters at bay:
- Protect your devices. The best defense against online threats is to keep your operating system and applications up to date — and always use anti-virus software for added protection.
- Manage your passwords. A strong, unique password is a solid defense against hackers. It’s best to use long, unique passwords that are 12+ characters long and contain a combination of letters, numbers and symbols. Don’t recycle your passwords; use a unique password for every website. Enable multi-factor authentication (MFA) when possible.
- Use secure Wi-Fi. Think twice before connecting to the free Wi-Fi at your local coffee shop. Unsecured networks like these leave your data vulnerable to prying eyes and hackers with malicious intent.
- Think before you click. Think twice before connecting to the free Wi-Fi at your local coffee shop. Unsecured networks like these leave your data vulnerable to prying eyes and hackers with malicious intent.
- Share with care. Always be careful about what you post online — limit the personal information that you share and remember that anything published to the internet is there forever.
- Check your settings. Make it a habit to conduct privacy checkups on your social media sites and mobile apps, and make sure your privacy settings are at your comfort level.
There’s no need to be scared!
At Revolution Broadband, we care about keeping you and your family safe when using the internet. Our industry-leading managed Wi-Fi system with security has you covered. Automatic software updates ensure you are protected and getting the most from your internet service.
Have questions? Give us a call at 570- 268-1349. We’re here and happy to help!
If you or someone from your household hasn’t registered your interest in Revolution Broadband, please click here.
Revolution. Made better by being local!